Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Hot Tamales -- Rio Rancho, NM

A few weeks ago, we were driving through Rio Rancho (don't ask...) before heading west to Gallup and decided to pull into Hot Tamales for an early lunch.
 
I'll admit that I was dubious. The name, for one thing, and the logo screamed "contrived." From the street, the restaurant looks like any number of small Tex-Mex chains in Texas, an impression that was only slightly improved once we were inside and realized that the servers were human rather than chain-trained waitrons.
 
But my concerns quickly vanished when the food began to arrive. Hot Tamales serves very creditable, verging on outstanding, basic New Mexican food. Their green chile stew and the green chile sauce on my combination plate were as good as any I have had. The chiles rellenos were also very good, although the restaurant uses pre-prepared chiles. The same is true (on both counts) for the tamales ... very good, even though the tamales themselves are prepared by a third party.
 
Hot Tamales is co-owned by Stephen Gallegos, who is also the chef. His partner, a woman whose name I didn't write down, was the house manager the day we were there. She was charming, helpful and eager to please.
 
If you are in the area, I highly recommend you check this relatively new place out.
 
Hot Tamales
1520 Rio Rancho Blvd.
Rio Rancho, NM
505/962-0123

No comments: